Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Round Roofs in Hastings and St. Augustine

I never noticed how many buildings in Hastings and St. Augustine had rounded roofs or facades until Joyce started making paintings. At first I thought they were figments of an imaginary world she was creating. I rode around with her one day from Hastings into The West King area of St. Augustine and we counted at least 10 buildings with such roofs. She also pointed out many of the other building she has painted and ones she has taken bits and pieces of to use to build her own on canvas. I'm dumbstruck when I see the intuitive architectural leaps Joyce makes on the painting surface. I would love to see an architect try to realize one of Joyce's homes. Maybe Samuel Mockbee or Hundertwasser will nudge a graduate student in their dreams tonight to seek Joyce out.
mikewindy

No comments:

Post a Comment